Become a member
Being a member of a Foundation Trust gives you the chance to have your say about how it is run.
Here you will find information about what being a member means to our patients and the local community, and the way you can help us decide how the future will look.
How do you become a member?
It is simple... and FREE. All you need to do is complete a form expressing your wish to become a member and return it to us. You can either complete the online membership form or contact the Membership Office to request an application form. Once we have received your completed form, we will confirm your membership and send you further information. To find out more information about Foundation Trusts and how QE Gateshead is run you can click on the questions below to reveal the answers.
What are NHS Foundation Trusts and how do they work?
NHS Foundation Trusts are free from government control and able to develop services to suit the needs of their local community. They are still part of the NHS family and continue to be subject to NHS quality standards, performance ratings and systems of inspection. Most importantly, these Trusts are accountable to staff and local people through members and an elected council of governors, that will work closely with the Trust's board of directors to influence decision making and strategic planning.
What will it mean to you... our patients and the local community?
As a member you:
- Can have your say in how the hospital develops its services
- Will receive a regular newsletter– QE News– three times per year either via email or post
- Will receive regular information on QE Gateshead
- Can become involved in specific projects where your personal views on our services will offer a valuable perspective
- Will receive invitations to events, meetings and presentations on health issues that interest you
- Will receive invitations to meet your governors to discuss any issues
- Be able to vote in elections to the Council of Governors
- Be eligible to stand for election to the Council of Governors
- Be able to attend regular meetings
- Will receive a membership card entitling you to discount in the restaurants at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Bensham Hospital
- Will have access to a number of shopping discount schemes
What will I need to do as a member?
How involved you become is entirely up to you – there is no requirement to attend meetings or take part in elections. You may simply wish to be kept informed of developments and issues via the newsletter.
How does it work?
Our membership is made up of staff, public and patients. We also have a council of governors and a board of directors made up of:
- Chairman employed by the Trust
- Six executive directors who are full time employed by the Trust
- Seven non-executive directors, employed by the Trust with varying hours
Who can become a member?
Membership is open to anyone who:
- is over the age of 16
- lives within our defined membership area
- has been a patient of the Trust, or the carer of a patient, at any time during the seven years preceding the date of application
- is employed by QE Gateshead (all staff are automatically members unless they choose to opt out)
Click here to view the Trust's constitution.