To make a complaint you can fill in the form below, or click here for complaints contact information. If you need help making a complaint PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) can help you, click here to contact them.

Who can complain?

A complaint can be made by anyone who is affected by the actions of the Trust. It can also be made by someone acting on behalf of another person, with their consent.

When can I complain?

It is important that you make your complaint as soon as possible after the event and usually within twelve months. This time limit can be extended if there are good reasons why the complaint could not be made sooner.

How do I complain?

If you are in any way unhappy about the care you are receiving the first step in many cases is to talk to the person providing the care. Most complaints are due in some way to a lack of communication. Many can be resolved quickly and easily by expressing your dissatisfaction to the person who is caring for you. If you prefer to talk to someone who is not involved in your care, you can telephone or write to the Complaints Manager whose details are on the contact information section.

What happens when I make a complaint?

When you contact us with your concerns we will see if we can sort out the problem straightaway without you needing to do anything else. We will write to you within three working days to acknowledge your formal complaint and, whenever possible, we will try to contact you by telephone to discuss with you what has happened.

How long it is likely to take us to investigate your complaint?

This depends on several factors such as if there is more than one organisation involved, whether you would like a single response and what you think should be done to put things right. Whoever is asked to investigate your complaint will do their best to sort out the problem as quickly as possible. They may involve other staff but they will be careful to make sure that any information about you is kept confidential and that the complaint will not influence or affect any further care and treatment. You may be invited to discuss the complaint either over the telephone or in a meeting. If it would help to resolve your concerns we may involve a lay conciliator or mediator with your permission. You will normally be given a written explanation of the outcome of the investigation and will be informed of what actions, if any, have been taken and what lessons have been learned from your experiences. If there are good reasons why the timescale agreed in the complaint plan cannot be achieved, you will be kept informed of progress. We aim to deal with your complaint to your full satisfaction within the Trust and this is known as Local Resolution.

Can anyone help me in making the complaint?

If you need any help, the Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA) will be glad to help and support you. ICA is able to give advice, information and support to complainants throughout the process. The contact details are on the contact information section.

What happens if I am not happy with the reply to my complaint?

If you feel that there are any matters which we have missed, misunderstood or you need clarification of any points, please contact the complaints manager within three weeks so that we have the opportunity of considering the points raised to see if there is any further action we can take to help to resolve the issues.

What if Local Resolution is unsuccessful?

If you are not happy with the final outcome of Local Resolution, you can ask the Health Service Ombudsman for an “Independent Review” of your case. The Health Service Ombudsman is an independent body established to promote improvements in healthcare. You should do this within 12 months of the date of the letter telling you about the final outcome of your complaint. Contact details for the Ombudsman can be found on the contact information section.

How does Independent Review work?

The Health Service Ombudsman is completely independent of the NHS and can be asked to investigate how the complaints procedure was carried out, address unresolved complaints or examine a refusal to set up an independent review. The Ombudsman is not obliged to investigate every complaint put to them and they will not generally take on a case which has not been through the NHS Complaints Procedure or a case which has been dealt with by the courts.Your request will be considered by a specially trained member of the Ombudsman’s complaints team who will ask you to explain in writing why you are still dissatisfied. The Ombudsman, with the help of expert advice if necessary, will consider your case. They will write to you with their decision and any recommendations. The Ombudsman does not have to set up a panel every time one is requested. They will only do so if they think that a panel investigation is likely to add value to the investigation carried out at local resolution. Please contact the complaints department if you would like any further information or advice about making a complaint or the NHS Complaints Procedure.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can change this and find out more by following this link.
Accept Cookies