Generic Referral Criteria
- Person must be registered with a Gateshead GP (unless they are an inpatient).
- People aged 65+ (including carers) who are experiencing significant* mental health difficulties that require specialist psychological assessment, formulation and/or treatment that cannot be provided by any other service.
- People aged 65+ with significant* mental health difficulties associated with physical health comorbidities and/or frailty.
- Neuropsychological assessment (when required) for people currently under assessment for potential degenerative cognitive impairment (e.g. dementia).
There might be some circumstances where the above criteria apply to people under the age of 65. Examples include;
- Neuropsychological assessment to assist diagnosis of early-onset dementia.
- Patients under the age of 65 who have experienced a stroke and are currently an inpatient at the QE
- Carers of people with dementia who are open to the Mental Health Service for Older People.
If you are considering referring someone under the age of 65 please contact the department to discuss the appropriateness of the referral.
* Significant difficulties would be expected to result in considerable interference with relationships and/or social, occupational or other important areas of functioning [ICD-10].