About the service
The Endoscopy Unit is a purpose-built unit based in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. You can find us next to the main Outpatients department.
The unit has been designed to accommodate Inpatient and Outpatient services with four Endoscopy suites and a Physiology laboratory.
An endoscopy is a procedure where the inside of your body is examined using an endoscope (a flexible tube with a small camera on the end). The unit sees approximately 12,000 patients a year, the majority of whom are outpatients but an inpatient service is also provided.
The endoscopy team is comprised of Consultants, Specialists Registrars, Nurse Endoscopists, Endoscopy Nurses and Admin staff. We are a teaching hospital and support medical and nurse training. All students are closely supervised at all times by senior members of staff.
As an endoscopy team we aim to:
- Make your visit to the unit as relaxed and as dignified as possible
- Provide seamless care and a pathway of diagnosis and treatment for patients with Upper Gastrointestinal, Colorectal, Urological, Respiratory and Gynaecology symptoms.
- Keep you fully informed of what is happening at all times enabling you to make informed choices about your care
- Provide an accessible, timely and high-quality patient-centred service
- Provide you with a high standard of care based on current recommendations and guidelines
We strive to maintain patient safety by providing continuity of care from the time of pre-assessment, through the admission (if required) and pre-optimisation, during the procedure, recovery and discharge.
The unit provides patient-focused individualised care at all times and has a culture of continuous improvement in a supportive environment.
We will endeavour to ensure that our communication will be open and honest with all patients and staff. Principles of equality and diversity will be respected and privacy, dignity and confidentiality ensured at all times.
We provide you with a full report of your procedure before you leave our unit. This means that you will be fully informed of the outcome of your test. We will also let you know if you need to have any further investigations.
Service opening times
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday – 8am – 6pm
- Tuesday and Thursday – 8am – 8:45pm
- Saturday – 8am – 4pm